From: <RandalPark@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 12:48 AM
Subject: Re: IML: IML DIGEST rebuilding 440 in 1968 Crown

> I have a question regarding this topic. It has been stated here that with
only 114,000 miles that it is unlikely that the engine has been over hauled.

> Back when they were still quite new, I remember several early 440
Imperials ('66, '67, &'68) experiencing a failure in the timing gears and/or
timing chain right around 100,000 miles. When disassembled, the problem was
usually due to the excessive wear in the synthetic coating on the teeth of
the gears.

> I haven't heard much about this on the IML since I have been reading here
since July. I have driven some newer cars that have done this as well, but
at much higher mileage. Has anyone experienced this with their cars?