IML DIGEST

Hello List!
     In my quest to find and eliminate possible vacuum
leaks in the mighty '78 NYB, I have found one at the
parking brake vacuum release canister.  Fixed that.
Plugged the hose up for now, actually.  The carb is a
rats nest of vacuum ports going who knows where.  Is
there a vacuum guage-type tool that I could use to
look for leaks?
   Also, a large vacuum hose goes directly from the
intake manifold to the power brake booster.  The
fiitting at the brake booster(where another vacuum
line exits and continues on) is a small cylinder
sticking out of the front end of the booster with two
vacuum line port/fittings.
This fitting doesn't jiggle like it's loose, but it
does TURN.  Does anyone know if this is right, or
should I suspect a vacuum leak at the brake booster?
Do I need to remove the vacuum hoses at this fitting
to see how MUCH it turns?
   BTW, the symptom I'm seeing is a "backfire" out of
the top of the carb when I punch the gas if the car is
coasting(engine under no load).  If I punch it hard
enough and I'm going slow enough, the engine just
dies.

Thanks everyone
Bruce S
69 coupe