From: <RandalPark@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 11:01 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Gimmickry and Gadgetry

> Greg,
>
> I think that you have a great idea, and I wouldn't mind starting with my
one of my favorite Imperial Gimmick/Gadget's being the Panelescent Lighting.
What a beautiful set up, but imagine owning the car when it was 10 years
old, with no dash lights, and no one readily able to fix it. Here is a sad
little story to go with it.

> I once knew an elderly man who was still driving his 1962 Imperial Crown
when it was 15 years old. It had not been taken care of and among the many
things that were not right was the Panalescent Lighting. Never fear, because
my old friend was nothing if he wasn't ingenious! He had purchased a small
light that plugged into the cigarette lighter socket that he mounted over
the speedometer, wire and all. He turned it on at night so that he could see
the instrument cluster.

> The same gentleman screwed a door bell button from the hardware store into
the padded portion of the steering wheel. This was used to activate the horn
after the horn ring was broken off. He also had a very durable replacement
for his long since sheered off turn signal lever, a bright green tooth brush
sticking out the side of the steering column.

65luxuryliner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> > Hello List!
> >
> > There have been a number of posts on the List lately regarding swivel
seats.  This morning I mentioned my experience with swivel seats and in
another post I wrote about a very useful gadget in another make of car I
own.  My apologies to the List for mentioning another make!  Had I not been
pressed for time this morning, I would have added to that (other make) post
with an idea I got while reading about the swivel seats.  The idea is this:
In the last day and a half of 2003, I thought it might be kind of fun for
the members of the List to write with their experiences and or knowledge of
gimmicks and gadgets down thru the 20th century that helped sell (kill sales
of) our Imperials.  I guess it would be out of the question for the IML
moderators to allow mention of gadgets and gimmicks from other makes.  But
the gadgetry of Imperials and Chryslers alone could certainly generate some
interesting emails.  How about it List?  Does anybody have any interesting
stories to share or just want to mention some of the gadgets that have lured
us into the showrooms and helped get us to sign on