440 Rebuild

Hi all....this question is for those IML'ers who have rebuilt their motors or
know of someone who has. First, is it cheaper to just have someone
professional do the job for you (not withstanding the satisfaction you get
from saying"I did it myself") or to rebuild the motor yourself? Second, if
doing the rebuild or having it done is it better to just have it done
to 'factory specs' or to have it rebuilt the best way present technology
(within a price range) will allow, meaning maybe upgrading the cam, pistons,
etc. to get more HP/Torque out of the rebuilt engine??

Just curious what experiences some of you may have had out there and what (if
any!) lessons were learned!
Thanks all!!!
Dan Melnik