Quality Control After 1966-and Before

This is so subjective. We can probably all sit here and come up with examples
of problems with a 1968 or 1969 Imperial all day long. The fact is that this
can be done about any other car as well, including our older Imperials. They
were cars, for heavens sake.

Frankly, I find it difficult to believe that if someone bought a new Imperial
that they would even drive it home if they hated the paint job. This leaky
trunk thing is utterly amazing. That problem was not unique to any one
particular year or style of car, let alone the Imperial.

I wasn't there so I can't verify the story, but an old friend of mine who had a
wonderful collection of old cars had bought a new Imperial every few years from
1956 up. When I met him in 1973 he had a collection of old cars, but his
everyday car was not an Imperial. His story was that he had bought a brand new
'66 and because it had a leaky trunk, and they could NEVER fix it, he sold it
very soon after. He swore that those cars weren't any good from the factory. As
a matter of fact, he didn't like the '67 or '68 models either.

I guess my point is that if quality control problems killed the Imperial, one
certainly didn't have to wait until '67 and '68 (or '69) to find them. I still
stand by my original statement that they were very good cars. I think that
earlier Imperials were very good cars, too, but they were not without their
share of problems, and certainly no less so than others.

Paul