Ding protectors

Back when I had my 67 Barracuda convertible, I purchased a set of door guards (I think they were actually called "Dor Guards") that were about a 3/4" block of medium density foam with black fabric adjustable straps that had flat "c" clips on the end that would clip onto the leading and trailing edge of your door.  You could attach and remove them in seconds.

Because the Barracuda had no chrome molding on the door sides, they were at risk to dings and chips.  Worked great but don't recall where I got them.  Look at auto accessories stores or J.C. Whitney.

Bob Smith

Southern California, High Desert 4:26 AM

I just went out to my beloved 64 Crown Coupe to close the trunk since we are experiencing 60 mph plus winds at the moment, I must add its also about 25 degrees. Since I went out barefooted and in my boxers, I should be dead as a result of pneumonia by the morning. my trunk springs have broken or something,  the result has me lifting a 500lb trunk and needing to prop it with a stick to keep it open.    ( a future repair)
Then it dawned on me, just as my maglight which hold 5 d cell batteries hit my frozen toes as Im fighting with the trunk, the stick holding the flashlight like a telephone operator...

The resolve for getting dings from other peoples car doors in public parking situations.
The stick I prop my trunk with is part of a set of wood protectors for the side of my cars, I learned about it on the Studebaker newsgroup some time ago.
Go to your local Home depot or hardware store, purchase yourself some 1 x 2 stock.
Sand it all nice, varnish it whatever you see fit to prevent splinters. Attach that magnetic material that comes in a strip .25 of an inch x 25 ft or shorter. apply to one side only.
Simple, crude but effective. Next time you park your car apply the magnetic/wood strips on the side of your car. Judgment will be needed for height placement on your particular prized vehicle.
If your really picky you can apply a layer of soft thin fabric over the magnetic strip to protect your paint.

Patrick Williams
64 Crown Coupe
64 Imperial 4 Door   (a gift from Kenyon, next weekends 500 mile adventure)
57 Studebaker Golden Hawk
65 Ford F350 Super Duty
79 MGB Roadster
86 BMW 325es