leaky transmission

----- Original Message -----
From: <RandalPark@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 8:10 PM
Subject: Re: IML: leaky transmission

&gt; Pat Blaze sells an external seal kit for aluminum case Torqueflite
transmissions. Most of the time there is more than one seal causing the
trouble. I have purchased these kits for two of my cars and had them
installed at a local transmission shop. The leaks stopped. <BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; I have been told that this is caused by fluid from the torque converter
seeping back into the transmission case. The increased volume raises to
levels where old seals for the neutral saftey switch, shift cable, and other
things have dried out.&nbsp; <BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; The kits cost about $40.00. When I had them installed at the
transmission shop, they also serviced the unit so the cost was right around
$200.00. Pat Blaze also provides instructions on how to install the seals
yourself. His advertisement is in the National WPC Club News. If you are
interested, I will look up his information and post it here on the list.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; He doesn't sell kits for the old cast iron style.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; Paul<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; &nbsp;In a message dated 2/5/2004 9:49:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
imperialist1960@xxxxxxxxx writes:<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; &gt; I have found that the rear seal is prone to failing on Imps that
sit.&nbsp; If you get a new car and don't know its useage history, a new $10
seal at the rear may save you a trans rebuild and harsh vocabulary.&nbsp; I
normally put a wrench on the pan gasket bolts upon seal install and cinch
them down.&nbsp; They're nromally looser than I like.&nbsp; Could lead to
leakage later.&nbsp; <BR>
&gt; &gt;&nbsp; <BR>
&gt; &gt; All of this after I had a rear seal go on two of the last 5 cars
that I have had.&nbsp; <BR>
&gt; &gt;&nbsp; <BR>
&gt; &gt; Apparently the natural stationary fluid level leaves the output
shaft seal half immersed, and the top dries out, bottom stays
immersed/soft.&nbsp; The seal will fail where it transitions from soft to
hard with use.<BR>
&gt; &gt;&nbsp; <BR>
&gt; &gt; -Kenyon<BR>
&gt; &gt; <BR>
&gt; &gt; salsender &lt;salsender@xxxxxxxxxxx&gt; wrote:<BR>
&gt; &gt; Hello Group,<BR>
&gt; &gt; I can't recall if I passed this on before, so I will do it again.
The transmission in our 67 Imperial was leaking badly especially after it
was parked. Transmission worked fine otherwise. I sent out an email or two
for advice and got on the chat line too. Some said it might be a seal
leaking where the control levers come out of the case. I finally got it up
in the air and went to work. The top and side of the case was dry and no
indication of any leaks anywhere noticeable. I decided to drop the
transmission pan and service the tranny. Presto, since then it has been just
fine. No leaks and shifts smoothly as before. The old pan gasket didn't look
bad but apparently it was. Maybe it loosened up after years of compression
and heat. I also pulled the inspection plate and drained the torque
converter in process. Anyway this turned a gloomy picture bright as I didn't
have to pull the tranny out to repair it at this time. Thanks for everyone's
help.<BR>
&gt; &gt; Kent &amp; Sally Szpak<BR>
&gt; &gt; 67 imperial 4dr ht<BR>
&gt; &gt; ---Original Message ----- <BR>
&gt; &gt; From: A. Foster <BR>
&gt; &gt; To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <BR>
&gt; &gt; Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 5:03 PM<BR>
&gt; &gt; Subject: Re: IML: New Dash or Dash renewal?<BR>
&gt; &gt; <BR>
&gt; &gt; <BR>
&gt; &gt; Patrick;<BR>
&gt; &gt;&nbsp; If your transmission works fine but leaks I would just get
the seals and gaskets replaced, if you don't want to take on the job
yourself. Getting a rebuild sounds like a waste of time unless the thing
refuses to go in reverse or something. There is no four speed automatic that
I know of the will mount up to a 413, at least without modication, a four
speed manual would make the car almost undrivable with a column shift.<BR>
&gt; &gt; Best Regards<BR>
&gt; &gt; Arran Foster<BR>
&gt; &gt; 1954 Imperial Newport<BR>
&gt; &gt; Needing A Left Side Tailight Bezel and other trim parts.<BR>
&gt; &gt; ----- Original Message ----- <BR>
&gt; &gt; From: SFSurfDude@xxxxxxx <BR>
&gt; &gt; Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 12:34 PM<BR>
&gt; &gt; Subject: IML: New Dash or Dash renewal?<BR>
&gt; &gt; <BR>
&gt; &gt; <BR>
&gt; &gt; Hello All...<BR>
&gt; &gt; On my 64 Crown Coupe the top of my dash and it overhang is warped,
Im sure not unlike some others I have seen... Is there anyone who has the
capability to remanufacture one or restore the existing one I have presently
in my car?<BR>
&gt; &gt; Also I am looking to replace my leaking transmission. While it
still does work correctly it leaks in a real bad way. On Ebay I have seen
Pheonix transmission and others who offer for 65 and 66's at 385.00 plus
core and shipping. Is this a good deal? Or is there a four speed I can put
in there for <BR>
&gt; &gt; better mileage? Four speed automatic.<BR>
&gt; &gt;&nbsp; <BR>
&gt; &gt; Regards,<BR>
&gt; &gt; Patrick Williams<BR>
&gt; &gt; High Desert, Southern California<BR>
&gt; &gt; 57 Studebaker Golden Hawk<BR>
&gt; &gt; 65 Ford F 350 Super Duty Dually<BR>
&gt; &gt; 64 Chrysler Imperial Crown Coupe<BR>
&gt; &gt; 64 Chrysler Imperial 4 door <BR>
&gt; &gt; 79 MGB Roadster<BR>
&gt; &gt; 89 Ford Ranger<BR>
&gt; &gt; 86 BMW 325es<BR>
&gt; &gt; Ford 9n<BR>
&gt; &gt; <BR>
&gt; &gt; <BR>
&gt; &gt; Do you Yahoo!?<BR>
&gt; &gt; Yahoo! Finance: Get your refund fast by filing online <BR>
&gt; ?ÿÂz.mNTjjzÊÊ&quot;®1SS.z-TSSs?-¢w®¦{..w.¯x½Tjj¶?¶®z­®¢mzÁj®z.mNI
¢§s?-¢z±m