Liability

I got a leak on the rear brake cylinder and when I took it apart it looked fairly new.  I clean and homed the cylinder and was going to replace the brake pads only, on both wheels.  I went to NAPA and they did not have the 1 and 1/8 inch pads I needed.  Went to another part store and they didn't have them either!!  I finally called a well named part vendor and told him what I needed and he refused to sell me the pads, because he was afraid that if the brakes failed, he would be also liable!!, as a third party, he only wanted to sell me the complete unit for $48 plus vs the $3 I finally paid when I found the pads.  Was he series or just wanted to make a bigger sale?

PS, I'm still looking for a bumber jack for my '62 Crown

Tom, in South Florida