concealed headlight door motor question

There are two coiled strips of metal on either end that serve as springs.  Follow the actuation rod out to the end and you'll see them.  My 73 did the exact same thing, where one eyelid didn't want to go the last 1/4 inch and just hung there.

I popped off the spring on the non-closing side.  The motor is probably working harder now, and the door shuts a bit louder on the rubber stop, but I have a spare motor from when I thought the thing was dead (just stuck from disuse).  I'll fool around with getting the sping tension to match if the motor ever develops wear problems from only one spring to assist it.

-Kenyon

"Bradley R. Teets, CPA/PFS, CFP (home office)" <brtcpapfs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Imperialists

I recently purchased a 1968 Chrysler 300 convertible.  It has concealed headlights, much like the 1969 and later Imperials.  The driver side door does not want to seat fully when closed.  It stays up about half an inch.  It might need a new curled spring to provide correct tension.  However, I am curious how (if) you adjust the door placement with the curled knob on the bottom of the center mounted door motor.  I know you can turn it one way to raise the doors manually and the other way lowers them.  I assume you can simply close the doors and turn the motor manually until they line up the best you can get.  I was not sure if turning the know too far in either direction might damage its internal working parts or cause further misalignment of the doors.  Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Bradley R. Teets, CPA/PFS, CFP

1961 Chrysler 300 G coupe

1968 Chrysler 300 convertible

"Securities offered through Financial Investment Analysts, Inc. -

 Member NASD / SIPC"

Do you Yahoo!?