68 atc not working

Bob,
The AC doesn't need to be charged to have the ATC somewhat working, although you can't fully test it's functionality until you have a source of cold and that also goes for the outside air, you won't be able to tell if the AC functions if the outside air is much colder than forty degrees. As for the ETR valve, the terminal is just a blade for a push-on connector coming out of a thick gasket on the back of the compressor, pointing to the passenger side, I believe. It could be that you have the wrong compressor or it was broken off, either way, your AC should still function if charged. You probably have a vacuum leak somewhere. The hot water valve for the heat also has a vacuum control to prevent you from getting a blast of cold air in the winter before the car is warmed up. Make sure the engine is warmed up and that the valve is allowing vacuum to the fan switch, you might try jumping that connection with a piece of 1/8 inch tubing. Finally when turning on the system, push the High Defrost button first and then the Auto button two seconds later and see what happens.

Roy
67 Crown FDHT