Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2004 4:02 PM
Subject: Re: IML: 1960 Help

Hi Tim,

Oh, how familiar that problem is.  Well, there are two
ways you can go, depending on how much time you want
to spend.  Sometimes, filling the cylinders with
diesel fuel or penetrating oil and walking away for
several weeks may free it, but some rings could still
be stuck.  My experienced suggestion is to pull the
motor and CAREFULLY take it apart, keeping track of
where everything goes, and IF you can get the
individual pistons out without damaging the
pistons....AND if the pistons aren't corroded, all you
need is a re-ring kit (very inexpensive).  With that,
you get new rings, new rod and main bearings, and
usually all the seals and gaskets.  Also, you'll have
to de-ridge the top of the cylinder walls.  This
re-ringing is equivalent to rebuilding the motor at a
small fraction of a full rebuild.

But it's your call.  Good luck!!
Chris
60 Crown 4dr Sedan