Fuel Filter Insert -'56 Fire Warning

Thank you for the warning. I am under the hood of my cars all the time. A leaky
fuel line is hard to miss.

I have checked the gasket when I have had it apart and it really isn't swelled,
cracked or even brittle. This is in contrast to soft fuel line hoses on either
side of modern fuel filters that seem to disintegrate over a period of months.
It also seems to be in contrast with the fuel pump diaphragms that seem to fail
on a regular basis.

I have reasoned that the frequent fuel pump failure is due to problems with the
rubber diaphragm and the fuel that usually contains alcohol. One would think
that since the fuel pump is so critical to the operation of the vehicle that
they would have come up with a better material to use in new fuel pumps.

I am totally with you on maintaining this stuff so that it isn't dangerous. I
am actually planning on cleaning up that filter the next time I am working on
that car and will take your advice and replace that gasket, but if the old one
still looks like it has for so many years, I will probably hang onto it as a
spare.

Paul