413 ballast, Ohm's law, and other musings

Quoting Christopher Middlebrook <delamothe@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> An 8 amp load on an alternator requires about 2HP to turn the rotor.  So
> essentially any horsepower gainedgoes out in the wash when the motor is
> turning the alternator.

Actually Chris, there may be no horsepower increase by increasing the power to
the ignition.  There would have been an increase if the engine was misfiring.
In a properly firing engine, increasing the power to the ignition does nothing
to the power output...  So, there may be a net power loss by increasing the
power to (properly functioning) ignition.

D^2