58 Random Starting/Neutral Safety

Thank you Elijah. You have also explained what keeps the '58 Imperial from
staring in gear, and as both "you" and "Hugh"  have pointed out, it would seem
to be the neutral button. In Hugh's post we also learn that it apparently
involves a switch that can fail.

I think that the original person who asked the question, his name was Dave,
will find all of this very interesting. There must be some electrcal switch
built into the "N" button to start the car. Is it similar to the set up used in
the "R" button to activate the back up lights? Most of us are very much aware
that the back up light switch is prone to fail.

I don't think that this changes anything that has been suggested to Dave about
finding the trouble in his car. In fact, it adds information for him to use to
help locate the trouble.

By the way, does anyone know for sure that there is no neutral safety switch
mounted on the transmission? It is possible that there is a switch within the
"N" button and also one on the automatic. Also, since all of these automatics
from late '56 through '61 are basically interchangable (aren't they?) there
would have to be some plug where the switch goes for cars that don't use one.

Paul