Outside Mirror Position - '56

What is the correct mounting position for the outside mirror on a '56 Sedan?
I've seen advertising pictures and more recent photographs showing the mirror
on the drivers door and on the rear end of the front fender.  Mine is in the
latter position but I'm not clear on which was the original position.

Jeff
'56 Sedan
Trenton, NJ