Spark Knock in my '59

I am also inclined to think that this spark knocking is fuel related. Of course
not being there, I can't say for sure. In addition to everything else that
others have written, I didn't see anything about the possibility of a weak fuel
pump. This is another thing that could cause the car to run lean. I have
discovered that the new gasolines that we have today are VERY hard on fuel
pumps. If there is a tear in the diaphragm it won't last long anyway so you
will know pretty soon if the fuel pump is bad.

If you are having ignition trouble, it could be as simple as replacing the
points. The points are suppose to be checked/changed every 10,000 miles. This
is something that we tend to forget today in this age of "no maintenance"
ignition systems.

Cheers!

Paul