High Priced HemiC

At the Dallas New Car Show, the presenter said the Hemi C sitting on the floor, that everyone was crawling in and out of, would list for $34K, but fully optioned it would go up to about $38K.  Yet the base model with the 2.7L V-6 started at $23K.  That's a lot of price territory with just ONE model of car!  In the basic pricing of the V-6s, it hits the new Buick LaCross dead on too.

One thing troubles me about the new 300s, the literature they were passing out listed the EPA mileage to be no better than about 25 highway with the base 2.7L V-6 and lower with the 3.5 and Hemi.  I know the prior 300s and LHS with the 2nd gen 3.5L V-6 would indicate 30-31mpg on the trip computer at 65mph on level road with no wind and 27mpg at 90mph on the same conditions, even though they were rated at 27mpg highway.  Seems as if they're going to have to sell a bunch of PT Cruisers and Neons to cover that more aerodynamically thirsty and blocky body design of the new car.  By the same token, the current Grand Prix 3.8L V-6 is rated at and will do 30mpg on a high speed trip.  I would have hoped the 300s would have at least been rated as good as the previous cars were, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Whoops!

But, there was a constant stream of people checking out the 300 on the floor.  Even the 6 year old kids were talking about "HEMI!" plus those a little older that this new Hemi is the first one they've been able to see in production.  Pretty neat.

Just some thoughts,
W Bell