Suicide doors

[I believe the term "suicide doors" refers to front opening, whether the front or back doors.  The wind could catch either door and rip it off or do serious damage.

GM, Ford and many Chrysler products, from the Plymouth on up in the early 30s had front opening doors.  This made entry and exit easy.  By the late 30s and early 40s, most manufacturers converted front doors to front-hinged and most rear doors were hinged at the "b" pillar.  The Lincolns were the only cars (except for the 1957-58 Cadillac Broughams) that had rear hinged rear doors.]

Elijah Scott <imperial1971@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
--- Daehkrib@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Today a gentleman stooped me and asked what happened
> to the suicide doors on my 65 imperial.

The Engel-designed '64-'66 Imperials were never
offered with suicide doors. And neither were the
'61-'69 Lincolns. Lincoln (and Thunderbird for a few
years) used a center-opening design, which is rather
different than the "suicide" design, in which the
front door opens from the FRONT.

But, much like the misuse of "Kelsey Hayes" for the
Motor Wheel wire wheels, the misuse of "suicide doors"
has stuck.

Elijah