Suicide doors / Engel designs

Actually, the 1964 Lincoln's wheelbase was increaed from 123" to 126".  That
extra 3" is all in the back doors.  The other major change was the use of
flat glass on the side windows instead of curved glass.  That changed the
whole feeling of the Lincoln design,  But the rest of the car was little
changed from 1963.  The big change came in 1966.

By the way, the 1963 Lincoln was 213.3" in length while the 1964 was
216.3" - again a 3" difference.  Both years were 78.6" in width.

It should also be pointed out that the 1963 Chrysler Corporation designs
were the last of the Exner era.  When Engel came on board in November 1961
the 1963 designs were all but done.   The front ends of the Plymouth and
Dodge were actually finalized in late 1960.  It seems Chrysler management
knew they had a disaster on their hands with the 1962 Plymouth and Dodge
even before the cars were introduced!

Engel's hand in the 1963 models was to refine grilles, trim, etc.  1964
would be the introduction of the Engel touch to Chrysler styling.  By the
way, ever compared the front of the 1964 Dodge Polara with the rear end of a
1962 Ford Galaxie 500?

I, too, am a great fan of  Elwood Engel.  Under his leadership some of the
most beautiful Chrysler vehicles were built.  And that includes the most
graceful and elegant Imperials ever built.

Bill
Vancouver, BC