1962 Imperial parts in search mode

Door latch problems are common for '50s and '60s Imperials that have sat around
and/or have not been properly lubricated. If you can't fix the latch, there are
places listed in the OIC Web site that can supply you with a good used one.
Imperial Heaven comes to mind.

Reproduction 1962 Imperial tail light lenses have been available for over 15
years. I am sure that a supplier is listed in the Web site. My set did not come
with the clear "light spreaders" that fit inside the lens, but those can be
re-used from an old set.

Your Imperial has Center Plane Brakes, not that it would make any difference
about them not working. They have probably failed from either being worn out of
lack of use. Either way, you need to do a complete brake job. Since my cars
tend to sit around a lot I use DOT 5 brake fluid. All brake parts are still
readily available. You will have to have your shoes re-lined. If you can't find
someone in your area to do the job, there are companies listed in collector car
publications like Hemmings that can do it mail order. Follow the directions in
the FSM for repair, installation, and adjustment. These brakes can be tricky if
you don't know what you are doing.

I don't know where you live, but most any good shop that does engine work can
rebuild your engine. I would be more concerned about the quality of the work
than the cost of the rebuild, but that means that you have to shop around.
There should be no trouble finding anything needed to do either the engine or
the transmission. You probably want to buy an external seal kit for your
Torqueflite from Pat Blaze from Monroe, Washington. He advertises in Hemmings
and the national WPC publication.

If your A/C compressor can be rebuilt, hang on to it, but you shouldn't have
any trouble finding a rebuilt one someplace. In my area, my favorite A/C shop
can still get rebuilt compressors for '60s Imperials without too much
difficulty. If you live close to a large town, there is probably a shop close
to you that can do the same.

You shouldn't have any trouble keeping your Imperial original. The hard part is
finding an upholstery shop that will do that kind of interior work. You didn't
say anything about the condition of your interior, but that seems to be the
place where most people make huge mistakes or get ripped off and lose their
originality.

I hope that this is helpful.

Paul