front speaker, '67

IF (and a very big one!) its the same as the regular Chryslers, it might well be a 4x10.  I've been into the dash of my '67 Chrysler once several years ago, but it seems like the speaker does not match the grille size (4x10) in that it is a more normal size (5x7?) that is offset mounted on a plate under the top side grille.  One of those experiences I didn't really enjoy, but was informative (seeing how the '68 Chrysler multiplex I bought at Mopar Nats would go in there pretty easily and if it worked).

Oh, BTW, on the multiplex mention a little while ago, all of Chrysler's "stereo" radios in those years were termed "multiplex" and not "stereo".  I'm not sure what the differences are, but I've been told by radio techs that it's in the way the r/l channel signal is processed.  On those radios, up until the 1974 model year when things became normal 4-speaker systems, there were three wires coming out of the back of the radio for the speakers.  These three wires (right channel, left channel, ground) went to the "Klectron" divider box that made the right, left, and center front channels.  If the car had rear speakers, a separate fader was put into the circuit to vary the volume of the rear speakers relative to the front speakers.

Although those systems are terribly underpowered by current standards, they produced a wider frequency range and spatial ambience (with the 3 front and 2 rear speakers) than anything Ford, GM, or anyone else could touch--period.  Part of it was in the better frequency response of the speakers and part was in the radio itself (which was made by Delco Electronics, but to Chrysler's specs, especially in the earlier years, just as the search tuner radios were also Delco/Chrysler units).  Those earlier radios might have had Chrysler markings on them, but the Delco Radio service manuals have all of the information on them just as if they were GM radios for GM vehicles.

Totally fantastic to set the cruise on a long trip and dial up a really good, high power stereo station, balance the f/r to image the sound on the windshield, settle back into the comfortable seat, and enjoy the ride.

The Infinity systems in the LH cars are nice too, especially the greater power, but those old tech radios really worked good.

Chrysler's AM radios in the C-bodies of the '66 era were pretty neat too.  If the vehicle had the Basic Group option package, it came with a rear speaker and the higher output radio.  Adding a second rear speaker (if there was no rear defogger in the other speaker hole) was really neat.  Even that AM radio had enough guts to make the rear floor area resonate on the bass notes (with the tone control more toward the middle too) and also put that rear seat passenger up on the back of the front seat too--hehe.  Later AM radios might not have the performance of the middle '60s ones, and there were also some other radios in lesser Chrysler products that might not have been quite that good too.

Just some thoughts,
W Bell