Chrysler speakers, etc.

You are correct about impedance.  It may be a dampened situation if the
matching is not proper, causing harmonics to propagate from the load to the
source and vice versa.  At the frequency and power levels we are dealing with
here (audio electronics) the effects are not as damaging as say, a power grid
on a city.

If you are concerned about a 4 ohm mismatch due to a speaker upgrade, I
recommend making an impedance matching network consisting of the followng
resistors:

2 100 ohm resistors
1 2 ohm resistor

Connect them in a "pi" configuration such that the 100 ohm resistors are in
parallel, and the 2 ohm is in series.

This will give you an impedance match with only 1 dB of loss through the
network.

If you want to get more adventurous and have a ccess to more parts you can make
a reactive network out of the following parts:

2 2-3 uF capacitors
1 68-70 uH inductor

Chris Middlebrook
62 Custom Southampton