white smoke from a 68

Hi everybody,
Recently purchased 1968 convertible but have not had
the time and weather problems to work on her much
since i got her. She starts up great but the white
smoke and the fumes are Killing us in my house threw
my closed garage door. I had a 1969 at one time and I
don,t remember it smoking like that. Could that be a
bad sign ?. I would like to do a compression test on
the engine how much would you think it would cost at
a service station or can i do it myself. I know some
thing about doing a compression test but don't the
proper procedure . How does a compression tester cost?
Hope to hear from you guys and thanks.

Luis 1968 Blue convertible.