Cleaning Up the Old Car

Patrick,

I recently bought a black car from the 1940's that had been in storage since
1961. I was able to clean the exterior by wet sanding it with 600 grit
sandpaper, then polishing it out with steel wool dipped in turpentine, rubbing
compound, polishing compound, cleaner wax, and then finally McGuires "Mist and
Shine". The old thing looks great, but I had a tough time getting out of bed
the next morning. This probably wouldn't work on an old metallic finish, but a
heavy old enamel job in a non-metallic color would probably benefit greatly
from a similar treatment. The finish went from a very dull, dirty looking gray
to a deep, rich, glossy black.

The car was last started in 1993, but had not been run since 1961 before that.
To start it, after determining that the engine would crank, the mechanic
cleaned and/or rebuilt the fuel pump, starter, generator, radiator,
carbuerator, water pumps (it has two), oil pan, and gas tank. The records that
came with the car when I bought it showed that the mechanic charged the
previous owner nearly $2,000 to do all of that work. They also documented how
it ran at that time, stating the oil pressure, compression readings, and
operating temperature. Also, from the records it appears that it took the
mechanic nearly three weeks from start to finish to make it run.

A couple of years later, the previous owner removed the distributor and had it
rebuilt, but did not reinstall it. That job has been left up to me, along with
replacing the ignition wires and spark plugs. The old plugs had been soaked in
diesel oil in 1993, and reused.

I am now attempting to get it running again. I checked everything that the
mechanic had worked on, and found that the only thing that has greatly
deteriorated is the gas tank. It has once again gone to crud. For now I am
bypassing it using a length of fuel line in a gas can, connected to the inlet
side of the fuel pump. I did not drop the pan since it was done in 1993, and
the car has not been driven 100 miles since then. I did change the oil and
filter. I will be removing the pan eventually, since I have purchased a high
capacity oil pump that I will likely install if everything goes well.

I have installed the distributor, new ignition wires, and spark plugs. So far,
I was able to start it, but it only ran on 7 out of 12 cylinders. The problem
is ignition related, since I can tell that the new spark plugs in the five dead
cylinders have not fired. Through research I have decided to replace the
condensers. There may be more after that, as the car has a very odd distributor
with many things that can cause trouble. At least I know that the engine is
apparently quiet running.

I guess my point is that I agree with you that it is very exciting to bring one
of these old hulks back to life. I did it over five years ago with my '55
Imperial (not the one with the rusty motor, there were two). That was the peak
of pleasure in my experiences with cars. Wanting to do it again is almost like
a performer craving the applause from an audience. It is very rewarding, and
hard to beat for excitement. I am really glad that you are having fun. That is
what this hobby is all about.

Paul