'60 LeBaron sedan, Its alive! After 4 years off the road.

'60 LeBaron sedan, Its alive! After 4 years off the road.

Very Good Richard!

I am working on a car right now that has sent me to the auto parts as many as
15 times in one day. The man who had it before me lost every screw, nut, and
washer that he ever removed from the car. As I slowly put things back together,
I have to individually address each screw, nut, and washer one at a time. I am
sure that a qualified mechanic would handle it differently, but I am not that.
I also seem to have lost my "bag of screws, nuts, and washers" that I collected
in my years of tinkering on my Imperials.

Patience, my friend, PATIENCE!

Paul

In a message dated 4/10/2004 9:51:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lecrown60@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> Hey everyone,
>
> The '60 LeBaron I bought in Augusta, Georgia, 4 weeks ago, is breathing once
>again.  Coughing up smoke and fire anyway!  My father and I have spent the
>last four days rebuilding the top half of the engine.  At 8:30 this evening,
>April 10, 2004,  the car roared back to life.  Every mosquito within a one
>mile radius fell to the ground, as did several onlookers!  Actually they ran
>for cover.....
>
> The car had not been driven in four years, and not started in over one.  The
>engine had apparently been vandalized.  The air cleaner had two inches of
>water sitting in it when I picked up the car.  The carburetor was trash, the
>intake manifold, and at least three cylinders were full of water to the top.
>I found, and purchased, a '60 LeBaron Southampton in Pratt, Kansas, two weeks
>after buying this car.  This second car was bought for parts, and being an
>hour from my parents' home, was picked up by my father.
> My dad had stripped the engine compartment clean, rebuilt the gas tank,
>carburetor, manifolds, and lots of misc., and brought them here, all ready to
>go on this car.  This really saved a lot of time on this end.  We should all
>have such wonderful fathers who drive a 1000 miles, to arrive with a truckload
>of finished parts for our cars!  Thanks Dad!
>
> My parents arrived Wednesday, here in Atlanta, and we preceded to tear down
>the sedans' engine.  We took everything down to the block.  I bought this car
>with the idea of creating a driver out of it.  The former owner had receipts,
>from 2001, that totaled around $5000 on engine and brake work.  However,
>illness ended his driving the car soon after and it sat until four weeks ago.
>This gave me reason to believe we could get the car going again.  It's been a
>horrendous amount of work.  I think the best part is how much I have learned
>about the mechanical aspects of engine rebuilding.  Generally aesthetics are
>more my interest.
>
>  We found that everything was as clean as new under the valve covers and
>valley pan.  There was really only some light rust residue in two of the
>pistons and only one with some etching on the walls.   I cleaned all the
>pistons and chambers with razor blades, solvents, and paint scuffing pads.  We
>found that the pistons had been bored 30 over.  Judging by the teal paint, we
>discovered that the whole engine and trans had been out of the car for
>overhaul at some point.  So, we know the engine does not have the 104,000
>miles indicated by the odometer.  Assuming that is a working gage in the first
>place.
> The receipts received with the car included much service, a new timing chain,
>fuel pump, water pump, gas tank etc.  So, we should be ready to go for a
>while.  My dad had already done up the gas tank from the Kansas car, so we
>blew out the line and swapped tanks.  The NOS one in the sedan will go in my
> [...]
†Ûiÿü0Â)©z¸š•ÉnmÊ&N¬™ë,j°jËžÛhÊ‹›ÊØ^"j^®&¥1¨¥ŠxŠËO•æ¬z·©—+h™¨¥Šx%ŠËbš—«‰©\–æÜ¢f§w*.®·¬¦‰ì{¥•·¬…ªÞw­…ëÞ¯*'xú⽫^™ë,j¬jwZ¶Öœ†g§¶Çè®Ø^Ù¢ž+-­«h®Ë!¢é]mëžÛhÁææjË^®)©z¸š•ÉnmÊ&N…

I@x
-¢m§ÿâš—«‰©\–æÜ¢oîžË›±Êâmèm