392 in pieces

I don't know how you can tell that a cracked block got that way by freezing or
by overheating. I know that the block in my '65 Imperial was cracked when I got
it. It never leaked, but it was a BIG crack. It had come from over heating and
there was other evidence as well, such as broken rings, bearing damage, and ,
oh yes, the proverbial characteristic remains of a mammoth trailer hitch.

I replaced mine. I don't think that I would ever repair or pay to have repaired
a cracked cylinder block unless a replacement was absolutely unobtainable. I
know that they can be fixed and if done right, very well, in fact. The trouble
is, not only would it not be as good as a block that was never cracked in the
first place, but I would always know that it was cracked. If I had to sell the
car, I would never feel right about it unless I told everyone. Guess what, then
they probably wouldn't buy it.

I highly recommend that you replace your block, Hugh. It will be a better
engine job in the long run.

Paul