ball joint boots

I agree but this is preventative maintenance. The great consolidation of
parts suppliers has really put a clamp on things. Gone are the days when ,
with a little leg work, one could get just about anything for a reasonable
price. And you are right about NAPA. In Canada I can ask for part numbers
that I see listed in the US and they come up not available. Really sucks.

Robin Giesbrecht

>From: W Bell <cbody67tx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: IML: ball joint boots
>Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 01:22:42 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Considering that if the boot has deteriorated and cracked, it could well be
>that foreign materials/liquids have gotten inside and might be
>deteriorating the internal workings too--maybe even allowed some grit to be
>embedded in the wear surfaces that will cause quicker wear than normal.
>Considering that if you already have to disassemble things to install the
>new boot, you're already most of the way "there" to replacing the joint,
>might it also make good sense to go ahead and replace the joint with a new
>one and be done with it?  A small investment might lead to greater piece of
>mind in the future too, even if you need to figure in the cost of a fresh
>front end alignment into the mix too.
>
>Otherwise, you might find some via the "HELP" parts rack at most auto
>supplies, or listed in the MotorMite catalog.  I somewhat doubt that they
>will be of the same quality rubber that would be used by Moog or Perfect
>Circle or similar.  Maybe you need to find an auto supply with an older
>catalog and someone that knows how to use it, with all due respect?  In the
>current times of large scale consolidations and buyouts of auto supply
>stores and distributors, finding an old line, entrenched auto supply that
>does a large volume can be a real find, especially if they have "motivated"
>employees AND a stack of old paper catalogs archived somewhere.
>
>One distributor told me that Moog had a warehouse of nothing but New Old
>Stock parts they used to make.  Not everyone knew about it either, but
>those that did dare to go ahead and order some of the older parts from them
>got things they figured were long gone.  Only restriction is that if it is
>bought, all sales are final.  I'm not sure if it's still around or not, but
>it might be worth a try.
>
>As "universal" as NAPA might be, the stores might have some regional
>restrictions of where they can get some of their parts.  For example, a
>store owner in East Texas told me that they would not let him buy his
>AC-Delco items from a warehouse distributor in Dallas (which had more
>stock, was cheaper, and gave better service) but instead had to use a
>distributor in a Texas/Louisiana border town (smaller, less stock, poorer
>order fill rate, etc.).  Similar situations might exist with other product
>lines they carry too.
>
>Just some thoughts,
>W Bell

MSN Premium includes powerful parental controls and get 2 months FREE*