Mechanical Turn signals

I have another classic car that has mechanical turn signal switches. When I
slow down to turn the corner, the rate of click get slower and slower to the
point of ceasing altogether. I was told that this switch was mechanical
(vintage 1962) and that it was just tired. I suspect older Imperials have
similar types. Has anyone ever rebuilt something like this, Imperial or not?
Can I open it up and refurb it, or must it just be replace, OR is that just
the way it is? Thanks gurus. Chris