From: W Bell
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 1:55 AM
Subject: IML: door edge guards

The stainless steel door edge guards that many used for factory equipment have their plusses, but they can also tend to scrape the paint when they are installed.  The scrapes will be hidden under the guards, but it's still bare metal without the protection of the paint.  This makes having guards that are not or have not been bent in directions they were not originally configured in very important.  Even so, it's very probable that some paint will be scraped on the inner lip of the door skin as they must fit tight to stay put.  If the build thickness on the primer/paint finish now on the vehicle is much more than what it might have been originally, the possibility that paint will be scraped definitely increases.

In some respects, they are good to have.  In other respects, they can cause more problems than they are worth.  Much easier to use some touch up paint on the door edges as needed.

It's admirable to reinstall them as they might have been or were factory original on the vehicle, but if it ever gets down to "Why not", just reply that you chose not to reinstall them.  After all, it's a relatively easy thing to do for someone so motivated--just get out the rubber mallet, line things up carefully, and lightly pound/tap away.

Final decision rests with the vehicle's owner.

Just some thoughts,
W Bell