Ecologically correct/economically disasterous

Ecologically correct/economically disasterous

Paul, that's debateable too.  Perhaps the economy would have focused on other
things (like public transportation projects for example) that would have kept
the money flowing, yet it would be producing something more socially useful
than low quality status symbols that wear out after 5-10 years use.  As for
example the cold war wore out, the reduction in defence contracts in the 90's
did not collapse the economy as new (and more useful) acivities replaced the
old ones.

Most people in our times have never driven an old car.  I have been driving high
quality 60's cars ever since I started driving.  I have a serious moral
objection to the cars made today, and that's one of the reasons I do not want
to be an engineer for the automotive industry.  If they could build infinite
life cars 40 years ago (granted, only the "quality" cars like the imperials
qualify for that), why can't they now?  I think the answer to this is double:
1.  The manufacturers on purpose build disposeable cars because they are
cheaper to build and it ensures their future business.
2.  The average consumer only cares for short term advantages.  They would
rather have an extra 2 mpg and half a second better 0-60 mph times instead of
having thick body panels and real bumpers and sub frames.  They plan to sell
that car 3 years down the road anyway, so the long term benefits of real
quality are irrelevant to them.  Quality now is defined as number of cup
holders or how your SUV can turn into a p/u.

D^2

Quoting RandalPark@xxxxxxx: