'59 back to square one

>      Just got the pleasant news today from the mechanic I brought
> my Imperial to for the engine rebuild, that his cost alone on the
> rebuild was going to be around $4,000.00, and that I would end up
> paying around $6,000.00. I told him for six thousand I could go

Hi Bill:
   I agree that $6K is ridiculous for a rebuild.  Pistons are the only piece
that would be hard to find and those are readily available if you are willing
to pay $50 each.  I spent around 2K on my engine with me doing the removal and
reinstall.  I think you will find someone to do it for your original estimate
of $3500.

  I hate to say the same thing over again but I really think you need more
diagnosis before committing to a whole engine rebuild.  From your description I
believe that you have carb issues that could be cured for a couple hundred
instead of a couple thousand.  I sure wish we lived closer together so that I
could look at it with you.

    I know how hard it can be to find a good mechanic willing to work on these
beasts.  In their defense you could probably fit three normal cars in the space
that the Imperial takes up and make twice as much money in the same amount of
time replacing throw away parts on new cars...  You have to find someone who
shares your passion for the old cars.  I haven't been lucky enough to find
anyone like that myself but I have the added advantage of having a garage and
have been working on them for 20 years now.

   Good luck to you.
   Steve