WD-40

Hi gang,
Last year my old buddy and I took the Imperial to the
local dam for some fishing.  When we got their my
buddy took out the WD and sprayed his reel, line and
hook with it.  I said what the heck are you doing that
for?  He just said watch and learn.  Then he baited
his hook with a night crawler and sprayed it.  I just
shook my head.  He then grinned and cast the worm into
the water.  The hook was in about 3 minutes when a
fish hit.  I watched in amazement as he pulled in the
first fish of the trip.  He repeated the process all
day and skunked me.  I had to ask how it worked?  He
told me to spray some on my finger and taste it.  I
did with reluctance.  It tasted and smelled sweet.
All I know was it worked great for fishing.  It also
worked great for the lug nuts on the Imperial when we
had the flat tire.  I guess the stuff is a miracle in
more than one way.
RC Billings, Montanaaaaaaa

 --- W Bell <cbody67tx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > I
concur, the "wonder lube" WD-40 has been used for
> lots of things it might not have been originally
> intended for.  It might deposit a thin, protective
> coating on the metal, but it will NOT inhibit rust
> from forming after a few days, yet many use it for
> that too.
>
> There is a similar product that Amsoil makes (called
> "Metal Protector", I believe) that I was told about
> by the owner of the old Speed Equipment World in
> Lubbock, TX.  The front door to his shop had a lock
> that would stick every so often.  He used WD-40 to
> free it up, but it attracted dust (a real issue out
> there) and dirt.  When he got turned on to Amsoil
> products for his Mopar race car, he found about
> about MP and started using it.  It did the same
> things as WD-40 but did NOT attract dust and it did
> not gum things up.
>
> I tried it and it worked better than WD-40 for
> automotive use on sliding hinges and such, but it
> kind of smelled like bug spray initially.  In more
> recent times, I've found One Lube (or similar) with
> Teflon to be a better general lube (plus giving
> things a nice, silky feel as they operate).  Then
> there's also Gunk's Liquid Wrench with PTFE that
> I've had good results with too.  Basically, when
> WD-40 was discovered it was an amazing product that
> many used for things it might not have been designed
> for, but now there are other products out there that
> tend to be better for the intended purpose.  Kind of
> like GoJo hand cleaner.  I also concur that as a
> default reference, the factory service manual is a
> valuable asset.
>
> Just some thoughts,
> W Bell

=====