Fuel mileage

I understand what you are saying and maybe I  jumped the gun. Your reasoning
is sound and I have no problem following it. All I am saying is that at a
given rpm(up on the torque curve) and load
the 440 will run at its finest taking all items you have mentioned into
consideration. And this will not necessarily be at a slower highway speed or
engine speed. The vacuum gauge can be used to fine tune the throttle opening
particularly during cruise. It is not the be all and end all but the
internal combustion engine is a very complex beast and one could spend one's
life trying to reinvent the wheel. I get to a point where if it makes power
enough to satisfy me and fuel burn is acceptable then all is good. I have
too many other things to do. But I do know one thing. The 30 some mile grade
out of this valley to the summit of the pass is most efficiently carried out
at around 80mph in high gear. If I slow down she starts to lug and I just
have to push my foot deeper.Less vacuum, more fuel flow and end results are
not worth it. Faster and I am also starting to push deep into the carpet.
Same scenario.There is another steep long grade further down the road that I
have to begin from almost a standing start and once I get past 70mph in high
gear the engine almost transforms. If I had a tach I could verify I am
hitting the peak torque curve. Talking about lower engine speeds and lugging
my dad was/is a huge Mack man. I remember when Mack came out with the
Maxidyne engine/transmission which pretty much revolutionized the heavy
truck industry.They came out with a smaller inline turbo six with a flat
torque curve from 1200-2100 rpm and a huge(as in large size) five speed
transmission to handle the torque. This was when the standard heavy rig had
a power curve from 1800-2100 rpm and at least a 10 speed. And everyone
thought that peak horsepower was most important. The little Mack had 235 HP
but would pull or outpull 350 hp Cummins and Detroits.I was a kid then but
still remember the "races" they would have and the betting that went on as
the Mack dealers went out to prove their point. Lots of red faces.Now flat
torque curve engines are standard. I would think that for pulling trailers a
tach would be a helpful instrument as you could try and keep the engine high
on it's torque curve.

Robin Giesbrecht