Power Steering Pump Bracket Woes

I had a '65 300 that I loaned to a friend for a few months (56,000 original
documented miles). It had this "crocked power steering pump bracket syndrome".
It is okay for the pump to be tilted, but the pulley is suppose to be nearly
parallel to the block. The pulley on this car was slightly pointed toward the
water pump.

I knew that the car was like that, and did nothing about it. One day during a
difficult parking maneuver, the belt came off and got tangled up in several
other accessories, the pump was damaged, the bracket bent like pretzel, the fan
was damaged, and the radiator was punctured. I spent a lot of money fixing that
car. I could have avoided the entire incident if I had taken care of that
bracket. The reason I didn't is that I knew those brackets could be difficult,
and I didn't want to mess with it.

My friend wasn't a car nut, but he really didn't do anything that much out of
the ordinary. I would say if you see a problem like that on your car and don't
do anything about it, you are asking for trouble. Sometimes nothing will happen
for years, but there is a chance that it can pop and all "heck" breaks loose.

Paul