How safe is our Old imp in traffic

You're right. It's not an argument. It's a discussion. ;) In my family,
unless everybody agrees, that's the same thing.

I don't agree that the structure of a newer car will be more likely to be
compromised.  Extensive studies go into not allowing the passenger
compartment to be breached. They design the drivetrain and other heavy items
to shear off and NOT travel into the passenger compartment.  Many of our
Imperials don't even have collapsible steering columns. Meaning we are
sitting behind a spear with inadequate seatbelts.

On the Mopar Mailing List there was recently a discussion indicating that
MoPar police cars survived crashes better than F*rd and Ch*vy because then
were uni-body cars.  The stiff structure is often a disadvantage in an
accident, particularly at high speed.  For instance, Dale Earnhardt's death
was partially attributed to the ultra-stiff structure of his roll cage which
did not "give" when his car hit the wall.

We've been through this a bunch of times and I don't think D2 and I will
ever agree on it.

One other note regarding the member who had an Imperial undamaged when being
hit by a newer car with energy absorbing bumpers.  In a straight rear-end
collision the front car is often undamaged. That is because it is sitting at
normal ride height. The driver of the rear car is generally, one would hope,
on the brakes. Therefore, the front tilts down and bumper doesn't take a
direct hit. Generally, the rear cars end up with destroyed grilles and
hoods.

Rob