58 Brake Shoes / vacuum monitor

Dave,

A reputable brake shop will be able to replace the pad on the existing shoe.
This is the only way to go.  Any remains have to be removed and then they
will either bond or rivet on the new pad.  Most of the materials involved
are highly toxic and, not only is it extremely hazardous work, the
consequences of you doing it wrong are severe for other obvious reasons.  I
assume the shoes on your car are good.  A key element is to make sure the
pads they fit are not too thick.  I'm sure the FSM gives these dimensions.
I had an awful lot of trouble getting the correct thickness on mine.
Although the 58 originally has bonded pads, the last time I got this done
they riveted on the pads.  I could not do much about it at that point, nor
can I truly say if there really is a real difference in the effect of the
two methods.  I used a wonderful brake shop in my city that provides brakes
for just about everything.

How did you get on with that intake vacuum thingy you asked about?  I was
fascinated by the question but did not have a good answer for you so kept
quiet at that time but I have a couple of questions.  How did you know it
was malfunctioning?  Also, wouldn't simply removing one of the wires to it
have the same effect as removing it?  I always wondered what the item was
for.  I assume it is the electrode screwed into the intake manifold near to
the brake booster.  Actually, when I dealt with mine, if indeed I am talking
about the same thing, without knowing what it was.  It was removed during
some engine work and replaced simply because it was there.  I could not
figure out what it was or find a reference to it in the manual.  Where does
it send its information?

Hugh

Subject: IML: Brake Shoes