Dishonest car dealers

Melissa,

Unfortunately this hobby seems to have its share of dishonest car dealers.  As Dick B. pointed out, it is safer to deal with individuals in the hobby rather than dealerships and specifically individuals who belong to the IML.  It is almost impossible, however to totally insulate yourself from a con who thinks nothing of lying and heaping lies upon lies, in order to 'move a vehicle'.  This has happened to me in the past but, thankfully a letter from my attorney got my money back in full.  It is amazing what clout a letter from your attorney carries!  In some, but not all cases, one or two letters from a sharp attorney can move mountains the buyer could have never moved on his or her own.

I would suggest you getting your Imperial appraised to establish its current fair market value.  Find a good, reputable appraiser who is certified and will be willing to back up his appraisal in court if necessary.  Once that has been done, you at least know the difference between what you paid the dealer and what the car actually is worth.  Explain the situation to your attorney and see if a letter from him to the dealer doesn't get at least some of your money back.

The dealer would probably not want the hassle nor the expense of a lawsuit and would rather settle than go to trial.  Don't give up AND don't let the dishonest seller off the hook.  He is counting on you not fighting back and probably figures you'll just go away and 'chalk it up'.  Don't give him that satisfaction!  He needs to be shut down or at the very least, he needs to have to open his wallet and give back your money.

Good luck and let us all know the outcome.  We'll be pulling for you Melissa!

Greg McDonnell
Been there, done that with dishonest car people.  They are pieces of work, that's for sure!