Bad deals, words of support

Amen to that, I recently bought a 1966 LeBaron that was fully submerged underwater for two hours. If I had not saved it I am convinced that it would have been in a demo derby, but the incredibly straight Texas body, excellent original leather interior and completeness sold me. Somebody had to save this car and it had to be me, who else would? Old cars educate me through frustration and expenditure; then again I am the only guy in San Antonio with a 1966 Imperial LeBaron. It is worth it to be unique.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, June 21, 2004 7:35 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: Bad deals, words of support

I, for one, know it is difficult to move on when you feel like you have made a mistake in the purchase of a vehicle.  Old cars just always seem to create stress and heartache at some point in time no matter what the circumstances.  However, Live, learn, and regret is no way to enjoy a vehicle.  I spent "too much" on both my '60 Imperials, but recouping time, effort, and money was never the goal.  The goal has to be finding a car you like and enjoy restoring/driving.  It makes no sense, but I have enjoyed toiling away on my LeBaron, despite feeling I had "better" things to do with my time.  My purchases did not involve tremendous amounts of cash, unlike my restoration!  However, misrepresentation of a vehicle always leaves a bad taste in your mouth, nobody wants to feel the fool.  I applaud Melissa and her efforts to find Eric a car.  What a great wife Eric has!

There are always better cars that will come along and I kick myself for having bought what I did.  However, certain cars seem to seek us out begging for salvation from neglect.  Neglected cars need love the most and when you get your car up and running well it will be all the more sweet.  Since it sounds like you are going to make a go of it I just wanted to voice my support.   I always say: "Someone really needed to save this car, now why did it have to be me............

Richard Burgess

'60 LeCrown

'60 LeBaron
Melissa Swenson <emswenson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have received several negative responses, both on the club list, and more so on my personal email about the choices and decisions we made when purchasing our car.  Eric and I especially, both realize the mistakes we made during this process.  However, by writing my warning to the club I was not asking for the negative feedback, but just wanting to help prevent somebody from making the same mistakes.

I have been doing some research on Country Classic Cars, and the more I dig, the more complaints I have found, including 2 at the Better Business Bureau in the last 36 months.  I am pretty positive that this dealership is extremely dishonest, (more so than most) with no concern for the consumer.  I am not trying to bad mouth someone because I screwed up.  I simply don't want anyone else to have the same experience their as we have.

Eric and I will move on, and fix up our car to the degree that it was supposed to arrive.  But that doesn't mean I am going to let them get away with what they did, only to rip off the next guy.

So thanks for the tips, and the nice words to get us motivated to get our Imperial drivable.  And just know that we realize the mistakes we have made.  Believe me, we won't be doing that again:)

Melissa