Pot Metal re-chrome

Today I took the spare set of Fender mirrors to be re-chromed. No great deal in its self but the plating shop wanted to rework them by only taking off the top layer of chrome & leaving the Nickel plate intact on them.Then chrome over the old nickel etc. The mirrors have no pitting , so I cant tell what sort of Finnish will be achieved, has any one had any re-chrome done via this method ? if so  what did it turn out like.
Regards
Dave.