From: Imperial59crown@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 00:09:33 EDT
Subject: Re: IML: 59 Running, new carb, wrong air cleaner

Hello Hugh,
The new Edelbrock carburetor is much more squat than the original Carter, and
has the electrical thing near it's base, so it has been difficult to find
even an after-market Edelbrock air cleaner to fit, since it cannot seat properly
hitting against the electrical thing and another original cylindrical
structure which sits close to the carburetor base. I have given up the idea of trying
to adapt the original air cleaner for the time being, and just want anything
that will fit at this point. The adapter rings would raise the Edelbrock air
cleaner enough to fit over the electrical parts and still have a decent size air
cleaner. My other alternative would be to go to one of those tiny 5 or 6 inch
diameter air cleaners which wouldn't have to clear the electronics stuff.
This would look too crazy, however. I did find an auto shop which has been more
helpful than the others, so hopefully working with them I can get the adapter
rings to make the larger Edelbrock air cleaner fit. One would really think that
Edelbrock would make an after-market air cleaner that fit their carburetors!

Bill '59 Crown