Steering Box for 1962

>Hello from Boston.

> I just purchased a 1962 Imperial Custom Southampton.  The seller states this car needs a rebuilt steering  box

Steering boxes often get blamed for things that aren’t their fault.  Before you do anything I would check out the front end and see if other components are worn causing the problem.  Idler arm is a very common wear point that can cause this issue as is the center link.  Tie rod ends also come in to play and ball joints.

If your steering box does need to be rebuilt Lares will rebuild it for you as well as a number of other places.  Lares supplys the rebuilds that NAPA uses so I feel pretty comfortable with them.  http://www.larescorp.com/  I’m not aware of anyone that is still selling already rebuilt steering box although strangely enough they do still sell one for ’58 to ’60.

          Steve B.