Autotemp I

Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 14:14:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: David Duricy <desotobravo@xxxxxxxxx>
Dave,

If the 68 Autotemp system is like the 70 (and I think it is) there is no
motor inside the servo box.

There's simply a big vacuum servo and it operates sets of contacts.
There's also a vacuum modulator to control vacuum level.

I had the box apart on my 70 and took lots of pics.  I was trying to
find the cause of a continuous "farting noise" (description courtesy of
my 12 YO daughter) and checked out the servo box.  In my cars case the
problem turned out to be the vacuum check valves that are located under
the plenum.  These fail and the system won't operate properly.

I've been trying to find a source for new valves but don't want to pay
$40 for an NOS part that probably has the same problem as my parts.  And
the parts are non-returnable...

Here's a shot of what's inside the box (300k).  I have more pics if
you're interested.

http://www.bos-engel.com/imperial/brainguts2.jpg

Pete in PA

Subject: IML: AutoTemp I (1968)
My work on the 1968 Imperial Crown convertible has
gotten to the point where I am testing the AutoTemp.
The AutoTemp has an interesting problem.

I believe that the system was working correctly when I
bought the car, and was still working correctly when I
first re-started the AutoTemp today.

However, the servo began to make a grinding sound,
while I noticed that the system would not start on
"Auto" but would start on "Hi-Auto", "Def", and
"Hi-Def". After the system is on, pressing "Auto"
turns it off.

Pressing "Off" causes a buzzing sound, which I think
is the circuit breaker, and cuts the fan abrubtly and
leaves the A/C doors open.

I cannot hear the servo trying to park.

My bet is that corrosion has gummed the servo works,
causing the motor therein to jam, and thus trip the
breaker. Does this sound reasonable to those of you
who have worked on this system?

I'd like to open the servo box. Does anyone here have experience with
this style servo? I'm curious to know how similar or disimilar it is to
AutoTemp II.

Thank you for your insights!

Dave Duricy