'64-'66 steering, starter motor questions

'64-'66 steering, starter motor questions

Ed,

Question #1 Steering Box...  Personally no clue, haven't gone there yet

Question #2 Starter...  Sounds like a replacement is due. Something inside wants me to say to send it my way. I have a few cords of wood to chop in the yard. But I wont since it'll bring a mixed reaction.

Question #3 Neutral Safety Switch... It is located on the drivers side of the transmission. I replaced mine due to the low cost (Ebay 15.00) and problems I was having with mine, as it ended up I found that while replacing the switch the problem was likely the fact that the contact was loose and filthy from all the grime surrounding the area. So after installing the new neutral switch I cleaned the wire and contact, gave it the appropriate pressure with pliers to make the contact at the end of the wire grab better.
It could also be an adjustment if the problems persist in the transmission cables. To me it doesn't sound likely though since you mentioned it started after you double checked the N position.
In the factory manual in section 21 page 47 it goes into detail about the Nuet Safety Switch. The link is as follows: http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1964/FSM/html/21-047.htm
Good Luck with your convertible. My 64 unfortunately has been sitting idle while my home construction takes first priority. I cant wait to get back to the old grind again and getting it ready for its new exterior paint work.
Hope I was helpful, I have always asked questions so this marks my first time sharing my limited knowledge.
Regards,
Patrick Williams
High Desert, Southern California
64 Crown Coupe