The rise and fall of Virgil Exner

Since I have been involved with Imperials (The last 2 1/2 years). One of the most fascinating things to me has been Virgil Exners rise and fall.  This rise and fall has mirrored the success (or lack of) of the Imperial.  The interesting conundrum in my mind is how could the 1957 Imperial be 3 years ahead of its time and by 1962 3 years behind its time.  What say you, you Imperial history buffs?  Also is there a good bio out there on Exners career that might address this riddle?

Don Dickinson
Prospect, KY

1955 Imperial Newport, Canyon Tan and Desert Sand
1967 Imperial Custom Convertible, Ivory and Burgundy