ac compressor

Grinding noise probably means bad compressor, no cold air means that the freon
is low or gone, screeching belts means that they are loose or need replacing
(is this the same '72 with the starting problems?, if so the screeching
alternator belt is the same as this A/C belt). Also, a bad compressor can make
the belts screech, burn, and break.

No blower function usually means bad blower motor or bad switch. If equipped
with Autotemp, could be that the system needs diagnosis. This system has many
parts prone to failure from old age and or lack of maintenance.

Much of this is explained in detail in the archives at the web site and the
shop manuals.

If your thermostat is not installed, you probably don't have any heat either.
With Autotemp I guess this could impact the blower function since under certain
conditions the blower won't turn on until the engine reaches a sufficient
temperature. With no thermostat this temperature may not be reached except
under extreme driving.

Hope this helps.

Paul