Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2004 12:00 PM
Subject: IML: Wheels for '60-'66 Imperials

Maybe I'm missing something here, but my first thought at seeing those
wheels, was "What about the 5 1/2 on 5 bolt pattern".  I was under the
impression no one made wheels, aftermarket or otherwise for our old
Imperials.  Besides the Furd truck wheel interchangeability.  I have had
to search hi & lo to find replacements for my '66.  I think the wheel
ran from '60-'66, but it may have gone back as far as '58-'59.  Aside
from the dreaded failure of the Center Carrier Bearing, or Center
Support Bearing, either way you want to call it, I have always felt the
Wheels, and at least the '66 hubcaps to be the Achilles Heel on these
cars.  Wheels fail along the inner weld line from the age, and mostly
use of radials (my experience anyway), and the hubcaps on the '66 were
designed to become 60 m.p.h. Frisbee's of Death.  At the very least
insurance liabilities, although for whatever reason, I don't know why,
when they have flown, they have never hit another car, but if they did,
there would certainly be some damage, and ensuing insurance claim.  I
have seen some almost severe accidents barely avoided when a wheel cover
throws off, down the highway, across lanes of traffic, cars, more scary,
SUV's swerving to avoid hitting one.  Then of course risking life & limb
to stop on the freeway, get out, run after, and retrieve what may be
left of said cover, get back to the car, and merge back into 60+ m.p.h.
traffic.  I have quite the collection of mangled covers.  The cover
itself is not to bad, but the retaining ring, or backing, is shot.

Anyway, I wonder where he got the wheels?  Who makes them?  Might they
make some that had a little taste, style and class?  Not everyone wants
to look like some Pimp from Pomona in their Imperial.  I for one would
be interested in a befitting wheel replacement.

I hope this has not come up previously, I have been blowing through most
emails lately.

Bill Ulman
Seattle, WA
'66 Crown Convertible Coupe - never to be Pimped out, or sold to become
a low-rider if I can help it.