'65 Imperial Oil dipstick

I wouldn’t want to start modifying dipsticks, nut it would be good to make certain the tube itself is secured to the block in proper fashion, as Phil pointed out.  But I did note that my old 70 Charg*r required 6 quarts whenever I changed the oil and filter.

From: Phil Patterson [mailto:hill7jack6@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2004 2:46 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: '65 Imperial Oil dipstick

I wonder if the dipstick tube isnt all the way down in the hole in the block?

Crawl under, there'll be a little lip that on the tube that is supposed to bottom out in the block, If its setting above the hole, the tube needs tapped in more, also, you may have to loosen or remove the bolt holding the mounting tab.

Either that, or maybe the tube was just cut a little long from the factory? If you're sure the tube is all the way in the block, maybe you could remove a bit from the end, being careful to put something in the tube so metal chips dont fall down in the engine. Make sure the tube itself is firmly seated before you modify it, however.

Phil <><