A properly run business...

I also am a craftsman in my small (but successful) landscape design and construction business.  I have learned plumbing and electrical skills (irrigation system design and installation);  masonry, carpentry and metal working skills.  I enjoy the 'artsy' part of my business (the creative end) but I also am very aware of how important it is to remain in touch with clients and to meet their needs in a timely manner.  I am a workaholic and often work long days as well as Saturdays.  My philosophy and work ethic are to provide a quality product (or service) for a fair amount of money and to keep my clients satisfied.  I am proud of the clientele I have been able to establish over the last 20 years by adhering to the principles my dad taught me as a child.  I am extremely selective as to the type of employee I will hire as my 'carriage trade' clientele does not want 'trashy' looking or acting people working on their property.  So I am also aware of the difficulty in finding decent, qualified help.
Having said all that, I empathize with Gary (sincerely) in his difficulty to find help.  But to blatantly ignore a customer (when the problem originated on his end no less) is, in my book, totally unacceptable!  I have bent over backwards over the years to see to it my clients are happy campers and are satisfied with the product and/or service they are paying me to provide.  That is why this entire scenario with Goers has been so frustrating.  I don't conduct business this way and can't stand dealing with someone who does!

I concede he does magnificent work.  The pleats, buttons and overall craftsmanship of the covers is unquestionable!  But the pleasure and joy I once had (when the covers arrived) has been overshadowed by the total hassle of dealing with him and the ridiculously long time it took to finally get the covers!  My guess on the 17 month thing is he was just putting off the job as it wasn't an easy one with all those pleats and he was dreading it!  Then why in the heck did he agree to do it in the first place and cash my check so quickly?

Stupid me, I thought letting him off the hook regarding the dye (I finally got Leatheriqe to make it) would ease the tension he was experiencing.  I thought it fair to ask for the pads instead of having him go to all the trouble of matching the original gold color he created.  Oh well, live and learn!  Again, the purpose of my email (in addition to venting a little, sorry!) was to let other potential customers of his know what to expect and what I have gone through with obviously no resolution!  How incredibly frustrating this entire experience has been!

Greg