carrier support bearing-(re)vulcanized

This is the best option I have found. My local auto parts was able to have the
carrier support repaired, and the new bearing was no problem. I think that this
is better than NOS considering that the NOS part is now nearly 40 years old.

Many Imperials exhibited this problem when they were less than 10 years old,
and some even with low miles. There must have been some "sub-standard
vulcaniz(ing)" going on in the mid-60's. In my mother's '60, for some reason
the bearing itself failed when the car was less than one year old.

Given that this part for a convertible is non-existent or costs three times the
price, having the old one rebuilt is an excellent alternative. Just don't
destroy the original parts with a welding torch, or by running the car until
the support and the bearing actually disintegrate.

Paul

In a message dated 8/24/2004 12:27:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
imperialsrus@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>About the Carrier Bearing itself....NAPA Auto Parts can get the actual BEARING
>, and I am sure if you checked with your local Auto Parts Suppliers they could
>also do the same, if not try a Bearing Supplier. If you mean that your Center
>Bearing Carrier Support has deteriorated to the point where it has
>(un)vulcanized and is no longer shtuck(vulcanized) to the surrounding metal so
>as to cause vibration and shudder on acceleration, then I know of "1" place
>here in Massachusetts that can (re)vulcanize your part for you. The name of
>the business is "Then and Now Auto" and their phone number is 781-335-8860.
>The cost for the revulcanization process is "around $150.00" (when I called
>this morning the person who does the process , TOM, sets the price but he was
>not in at the time but will return later this afternoon and the person I spoke
>to estimated the cost as there are several styles for the older Chrysler
>products and the mold is differrent for each).If you also need a new bearing(
>it makes sense to install a new one at the time anywa
>y) figure an average of between $175.00 to $225.00. Call them later and ask
>for Tom stating you need to get a quote on a center bearing support
>revulcanization. They also have a website at http://www.then-now.com/. These
>people have been there for years and are very good.
>

>--
>Mike Veronesi
>Member of the
>Northeast Imperial Owners Club (N.E.I.O.C.)
>imperialsrus@xxxxxxxxxxx

>looking for these items any suggestions and prices would help

†Ûiÿü0Â)©z¸š•ÉnmÊ&N¬™ë,j°jËžÛhÊ‹›ÊØ^"j^®&¥1¨¥ŠxŠËO•æ¬z·©—+h™¨¥Šx%ŠËbš—«‰©\–æÜ¢f§w*.®·¬¦‰ì{¥•·¬…ªÞw­…ëÞ¯*'xú⽫^™ë,j¬jwZ¶Öœ†g§¶Çè®Ø^Ù¢ž+-­«h®Ë!¢é]mëžÛhÁææjË^®)©z¸š•ÉnmÊ&N…

I@x
-¢m§ÿâš—«‰©\–æÜ¢oîžË›±Êâmèm