1966 Imperial tires question

Quoting dave brown <imperial1usa@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hello list,
>
> I have a 66 LeBaron that I drive very little, a few hundred miles a year
> lately.  I was checking out my tires recently after the thread about tires
> that I was following here awhile back.  I bought my tires in '94 so they are

Do you drive this car fast?  When you drive it, do you drive it long distances?
Do you drive in hot climates and on hot pavement?  If not, and since the tires
do not show any signs of cracking or flat spotting, may be you can hold on them
a while longer.  Tires deteriorate in part via sun light and atmosheric
pollution.  If you think your car has been reasonably well protected, may be
your tires are not ready to be trashed just yet.  I have been rightly accused
of being cheap, but I would hesitate replacing a set of tires, just because
they are old, if they ride well, handle well, and look OK.  I would keep an eye
on them though.

When I bought my 68 LeBaron, the seller in Mississippi told me that the tires
were new, and the vibration would go away once they get driven some.  He was an
old-timer mechanic, so I trusted his opinion.  Boy, was he wrong.  On my way
back to TX, one separated badly, and then the spare followed.  WHen I made it
back to Austin, I replaced them all (or, those few that remained).  But the
reason why these tires expired is that the car was not driven AT ALL for very
long periods at a time.  Your tires may have not suffered the same fate.  You
say you don't drive the car often, but I suspect it moves at least once a moth
or so...

D^2